What Are The Four Parenting Styles?
- This type of parent would be considered very STRICT!
- Military like- believes in strong consequences for actions.
- These are the people that believe children should be seen and not heard.
- One-way communication
- Also referred to as disciplinarians
- Very balanced relationship with children
- Set realistic rules, explained thoroughly to children and enforces rules appropriately
- Childs feelings are always taken into consideration
- You put a lot of effort into creating and maintaining a positive relationship with your child.
- You explain the reasons behind your rules.
- You enforce rules and give consequences, but take your child’s feelings into consideration.
- Expectations are high and
- Blend of the authoritarian and Permissive
- Thought to be the best parenting style
- This is the parent that the kids walk all over
- Enforcement of rules is rare
- You believe it’s best for your child to figure it out themselves
- You say there are consequence but they never pan out
- Avoid confrontation with child
- At child’s disposal parent
- Not involved with child
- Does not ask about school work
- Does not spend a lot of quality time with child
- Does not know where children are
- Lacks the relationship that other types may have with child
- Child is not able to rely on parent
Who came up with the parenting styles?
Diana Baumrind is a clinical and developmental psychologist. She created the 4 parenting styles around 1966-1967
How do I know what kind of parent I am?
There are tons of quizzes out there that give you scenarios in which you decide how you would react. From there the score is supposed to let you know what kind of parenting style you are. I took this test and found out what kind of parent I am. Here are my results!
Do I agree with my results?
I actually do agree with my results. I think I have a lot of order in my house but I also am flexible and listen to my kids concerns. If they have a valid point I am willing to change my rules. I also am a huge believer in delivery. If you whine or throw a fit, we have nothing to talk about. If you talk to my calm and collective- I am open for discussion!
Did you take the test? If so, what were your results?
Want more info? Here is a kindle book from Amazon that is very inexpensive (free if you have kindle unlimited)
*may contain affiliate links. Cost no extra to you but helps us run the website 🙂